Easy Way to Install Kali Linux on VMware or VirtualBox
This article is the easiest way to install Kali Linux on VMware or VirtualBox and assumes that you don’t have the fundamental knowledge of virtualization; therefore, knowing virtualization technique is rudimentary to understand. So, Let’s understand the basics first.
What is Virtualization?
When you Google the term virtualization, tons of result will pop up that you can use to understand the term virtualization. But to be more accurate and simple, virtualization is a technique which you can install operating systems on another operating system (Host), sounds dumb huh? That is the peculiar task of virtualization. For instance:
This image might clear your concept, assume that the main computer black one and other computers are virtualized and can be controlled via the main computer.
Install Kali Linux on VMware or VirtualBox:
We need to download and install VMware workstation before installing Kali Linux, here are a few steps to do that:
- Download VMware Setup from here or VirtualBox from here.
- Installation of both setups is easy (processes of clicking next and next).
- Download Kali Linux ISO file from Kali.org
- Once you grabbed all the required files now time to installation…
Creating Virtual Machine Inside VMware:
Creating virtual machine inside VMware environment is really simple, once you opened VMware, follow the following instructions:
- Click on Create A New Virtual Machine
2. Specify the ISO file of Kali Linux that you downloaded from Kali.org
3. Select Debian Version of Linux ( Depends on which Distro you have downloaded x86/64 Bit).
4. Specify location where you want to Kali Should be installed and of course a giant name.
5. Select amount of space (Disk Space) you want for Kali and select the method of storing Kali file inside the location you specified:
– The first Option will store Kali installation files Inside one big file;however, there will be some VMware files which are needed.
– The Second Option will store Kali installation file Inside Multiple files which is recognizable for VMware;however, both options have their pros and cons.
6- Click Finish
Once you have done all of this steps, you are ready to go for a clean installation. On the other hand, Kali needs the internet connection for downloading some required repo (repositories) and make sure that you have internet connection setup.
To get the kali installation begin, we need to power on the virtual machine we created previously, virtual machines boots up from the location we specified earlier (In my case ISO file).
When the Kali is booted Select the Graphic Install Option ( You can use up and down button for selecting options ).
Once you hit the graphic install option you will need to select and configure your Language, Location, Keyboard, and your network.Furthermore,the images below show the steps that you will need to set a name and password for your Kali System.
This Section you have to select how you want to partition free space disk which you set while creating the virtual machine.
There are three main ways you can partition your free space disk, for this article we are going to use the Guided – use entire disk method;however, you can take manually option but then you need to partition the drives yourself and click Continue.
Here you select the Hard Disk Drive for partition process.
The first option is recommended for those who are new to the Linux operating system.
All the partitions are done and we need to click on continue.
The following warning is because the entire disk will be formatted and you should pay attention when you install Kali on actual PC. Here we select Yes and click Continue.
Finally, installation begins and you have to wait and then proceed.
In the middle of the installation, Kali needs to download some repo from kali.org website and you need to the internet connection and select Yes option and click continue and installation continues.
At the end, Kali Linux will install Grub Bootloader, in case you have another OS for dual boot click continue.
Here you need to select /dev/sda option and click continue.
Finally, the installation completes and click continue.
After installation completes the virtual machine will restart and then you need to supply the username and password and log into the graphical user interface (GUI) of Kali Linux.
Note: Through installation process, some steps might be escaped that were simple enough for everyone to overcome and the installation on VirtualBox is pretty the same processes with the difference of interface.
Latest posts by Zabeh (see all)
- SSL Implementation with Ncat - January 5, 2017
- A Comprehensive Guide to Netcat - December 28, 2016
- Easy Way to Install Kali Linux on VMware or VirtualBox - October 20, 2016